Edible Oil is used and consumed by households, institutions and industries all over the world. It can be said the back bone of cooking is oil. Vegetable Oils come in a vast variety with different colours, flavours and blends. They are used for cooking, manufacturing of soap and detergents, production of biodiesel, used as fuel in lamps, pet food and animal feed, cosmetics, as massage oil, as dressing in salads, skin products, candles and paints.
There are some oils like Almond oil which is extremely costly and Palm Oil which is comparatively cheaper. Therefore, for obvious reasons there is a lot of mixing and blending of oils. Also, each oil will be of a different grade – like Raw, Refined, Cold Pressed, Virgin, Extra Virgin, Bleached and Deodorised Oils.
Atlas Lab provides a comprehensive state-of-the-art Edible Oil Testing Program. By conducting the testing and analysis of Edible Oil samples we can evaluate their quality, quality confirmation, blending evaluation, ensuring the right blend vis a vis blend is supplied, to ensure there is no contamination, confirm and validate if the Edible Oil meets the technical and environmental requirements of national and international standards. Tests for Edible Oil are carried out as per FSSAI / PFA / BIS
What are the benefits of Edible Oil Testing?
- To ensure that the Edible Oil is safe for consumption and there is no trace of contamination, adulteration or racidity
- To ensure that the Edible Oil conforms with the national and international standards like FSSAI and other governing bodies
- To Determine the Shelf Life of the Edible Oil to establish the consumption period or the ‘Best Before’ date which helps maintain the quality of the final product
- Edible Oils play a huge part in our nutrition, providing our bodies with nutrients and the essential unsaturated fatty acids, which can be determined through testing
What are the various tests for Edible Oil carried out by Atlas Lab?
- Full Test as per FSSAI / PFA / BIS
- Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC) for estimation of Fatty Acids, Saturated and Unsaturated Fatty Acids, Monounsaturated Fatty Acids, Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Trans Fatty Acids, Omega – 3, 6 & 9.
- Shelf Life – Due to their susceptibility to oxidation from the exposure to oxygen, heat and light, resulting in the formation of oxidation products, such as peroxides and hydroperoxides, plant oils rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids have a limited shelf-life.
Why is it important to test your
Edible Oils ?
To ensure that the oils and fats are pure, edible, free from rancidity and of the right grade it is essential to test the oils so that it meets their entire specification.
The oil has to meet the standards laid down by FSSAI and as per Prevention of Food Adulteration Act and other governing bodies like Bureau of Indian Standards.
Our chemists, scientists and researchers have in depth knowledge and have understanding the quality and the composition of the oil. Our testing process is accurate, timely, precise and affordable. Our team handles each sample and your testing and analysis needs with accurate and service-oriented approach, ensuring you get the results you need in your respective market and industry.
Standard Tests conducted for Edible Oil :
- Colour in 1" cell (Lovibond)
- Refractive Index @ 40°C
- Smoke Point
- B. R. Reading @ 40°C
- Saponification Value
- Specific gravity @ 30°C/30°C
- Iodine Value (Wij’s)
- Free Fatty Acid (as Oleic acid)
- Acid Value
- Unsaponifiable Matter
- Peroxide Value
- Castor Oil (Molybdate Test)
- Sesame Oil (Baudouin Test)
- Mineral Oil (Holde Test)
- Argemone Oil
- Cottonseed Oil (Halphen Test)
- Bellier Test (Turbidity temp acetic acid method)
- Nutrition Facts
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Vitamin C
- Polysaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA)
- Monosaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA)
- Trans Fat
- Total Carbohydrates
- Vitamin A
- Moisture (%)
- Free Fatty Acid (%)
- Water Activity
- Total Plate Count (CFU/g)
- Yeast and Mould (CFU/g)
- Total yeast & mold
- Staphylococcus Aureus
- Total plat count
What is the process of collection of Edible Oil for Testing?
- You can directly send your bunker fuels to us or ask for our Edible Oil Sampling Kits
- Collect the samples
- Courier the samples
- On receiving the samples in our laboratory, we will commence testing.
- Results will be provided in 24 to 48 hours
- Technical advice for your Edible Oil will be provided on testing the samples and assessment of Test Report